Two weeks ago we asked you "How do you train your heifers to walk easy on the milk parlour?" This are the answers we got:
1. Make a group of newly calved heifers with previously calved ones
2. Introduce new calved heifers into milking parlour along with first lactation cows (previously calved heifers) between milking sessions ( when parlour is not running) several times
3. Then let this group enter milking parlour when it's running
4. Treat those first calving very gently
- "Something simple that is often forgotten is traction. A little sand or limestone goes a long way to making any animal comfortable especially a freshening heifer".
- "Yard them and leave exit gates open and let them wander through at their own pace"
We see stress-free stockmanship is very important in this case. If you want to learn more, sign up for one of day trainings or have a look at our video learning. Also, Neil Chesterton has done a lot of work on training heifers in milk parlours: www.lamecow.co.nz.