5 succes factors of straw-lime-water bedding. What experiences do you have with this? Please share your own succes factors with us!
1. Carefully build up the mattress in layers, don’t fill the stalls in one go
2. Fill up the stalls 1x week, so the fluctuation in level is relatively low
3. Keep the level of the bedding level or higher than the rear curb
4. Keep the top layer dry (1 cm) in the area where the udder lies
5. Keep the bedding soft enough
Do you want less mastitis and less lameness? Go for deep beds!
We included some photo's from Switserland.
Another succes factor on the second photo is the flexible neck rail!
PS: Sand is probably a bit more robust, as the top layer dries faster and more easily. The other -big- advantage of sand is that it provides grip on the concrete of walking alleys.